Monday, July 9, 2018

Farewell

Austin Fernando
logoBorn on 12th June 1942, having had my primary education at Hikkaduwa Sinhala School, post-primary education at Richmond College, Galle, I was admitted to University of Ceylon, Peradeniya in July 1960. As a young graduate I entered the teaching profession in May 1963 and joined the Ceylon Administrative Service (CAS) in October 1967.
Starting my new CAS career in Batticaloa District, I had an extremely eventful and memorable stint in the public service. I was appointed a Secretary of a Ministry, at the young age of 44. Although it was an enviable age to rise to such position, I also experienced the departure from public service in an abrupt manner in August 1996 at the unripe age of 54. When I did depart the service in 1996, I did so to uphold my unwavering principle of integrity. It repeated in November 2003. None would envy that for sure. But this experience was also for the best. Due to my employment in the private sector I was able to fund my daughter’s education in Pakistan which I was finding difficult as a government servant. Today when I see her carrying out her post graduate education at University of Oxford, I reflect that being removed from government service at that time was a blessing. Today, too, I leave with the conviction that everything happens for the best.
In 1996 I left government service keeping my uncontested integrity intact. This time in 2018 my departure may also seem abrupt to you. Many may interpret it in different ways. Social media have been discussing it for some time now. But it was discussed and agreed with His Excellency the President on 22nd of May 2018 at his office. I leave today at the mature age of 76. At 76, the world is a philosophical place!
Free man with a free conscience
Since 1996, I joined the public sector twice from the private sector – in December 2001 – as Secretary Defense and as Advisor and Governor of Eastern Province in January 2015, following as Secretary to HE the President in July 2017. The last position is the peak a public officer could reach in public service. It is a respected, sought after, esteemed position: a jewel on a crown.
I have pleasant and unpleasant memories of my present tenure. I will not discuss the unpleasant memories. Some of the memories encouraged me to leave public service and reminded me that the time has come for me to leave the secretariat. My thankful gratitude goes to two private sector organizations that gave me shelter when I needed it most- the Resources Development Consultants Ltd (for 5 years plus) and Japann International Cooperation Agency , Sri Lanka Office (for 11 years).   
For a mere clerk’s son, without any political, social, or ancestral ties, to reach the apex position in public service proves that Sri Lanka is a country of opportunity, if one has perseverance, efficiency and integrity. I have done my part with total integrity, impartially, without malice towards anyone, even when I had been ill-treated, misunderstood, penalized, slandered etc.  Tomorrow the same slandering and insults will begin. But I shall remove them from my heart with a smile, reflecting that this is the nature of the world.
Since I have no ill earned assets from irregular means and I have not been part to murder, torture, disappearances or wrongful punishment of any person. Tomorrow, I can walk on any street anywhere without security personnel surrounding me. Even in the times I was provided a large number of security personnel, I used them to the minimal.  I am a free man with a free conscience. I am finally free. 

Read More