Monday, February 29, 2016

‘What has befallen me today is an example for all policemen’ – Anura Senanayake

‘What has befallen me today is an example for all policemen’ – Anura Senanayake

- Feb 28, 2016
“Retired policemen are like an skinned banana. Everyone has a poke at it. No one is now with me, after pestering me with good morning sir, good afternoon sir, good evening sir, good night sir and even standing guard at the door when I went to the toilet. They are now afraid even to talk to me,” said retired senior DIG Anura Senanayake.

He made the remark when he met a leading lawyer to discuss what action he could take to prevent his arrest.
 
“Everyone waited until I became the IG. If the Yahapaalana government did not come, I would definitely have become the IG. I did a lot for the former bigwigs with that position in mind. What has befallen me today is an example for all policemen. When we are ruined, we have us only to defend ourselves. Had the correct thing being done, there is no cause for fear,” he said further. The lawyer advised him to make a special statement before the magistrate, as per clause 127 of the criminal procedure code, and turn state witness.