Saturday, December 31, 2016

Ex-Personal Assistant Says Champika Ranawaka Tortured Him Because He Didn’t Let Him Have His Girlfriend

Colombo Telegraph
December 30, 2016
Serious accusations have been levelled against Minister of Megapolis and Western Development Champika Ranawaka and his character, with a man claiming to be the former minister’s personal assistant accusing Ranawaka of harassing and even mentally torturing him, because he refused to share his foreign girlfriend with the minister.
Addressing a press conference, Harsha Bandara Thilakasiri said that he had been working for Ranawaka from 2000 to 2016 and had closely associated with the minister. “My girlfriend is a foreigner, and due to her business related work I had to introduce her to the Minister. Since I introduced her to him, he kept asking her from me and I flatly told him she is not a prostitute.”
According to Thilakasiri, because he refused to share his girlfriend, the minister in turn was furious and plotted in various ways to harass and abuse him as well as even forcefully admit him to the National Institute of Mental Health in Angoda, claiming he was suffering from psychological issues.
“A group including UDA Working Director Chandana Ranasinghe, SI Herath from the Cinnamon Gardens Police, and the minister’s personal driver Pradeep De Alwis came and took me by force when I was staying at a friend’s house in Ratmalana. They said they were taking me to the Minister’s official residence, but instead they took me to Angoda and admitted me at the hospital there. I was kept by force for over a month and they even gave me electric shock treatment for 10 days and then they released me,” he told the press conference.
“After that I continuously received threats including death threats. They even called and threatened my father saying if I disclosed anything about the minister then I will have to languish in jail,” Thilakasiri.
He said that as he couldn’t tolerate the continuing threats and so he lodged a complaint at the Piliyandala Police on November 16, 2016. “But the police didn’t take any action against my complaint, instead they went finding for my girlfriend, who had no involvement in this, and the police tried to influence her and forcing her to give a statement saying that I am mad, which she refused to give. They had even gone the next day and shouted in a very unacceptable manner outside her house. The police had even threatened the domestic helper working at my girlfriend’s house,” he said.
Thilakasiri urged the Minister to let him and his girlfriend live peacefully without making their lives difficult. “I don’t need to disclose any wrongdoings of the minister. I only want him and his henchmen to stop harassing us and let us live our lives peacefully,” he added.
Meanwhile, posting a video on his Facebook page, Ranawaka denied the allegations leveled against him by Thilakasiri and said his aid was sacked because the man was suffering from psychological problems.